Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Peanut Butter Banana Bread

It seems like there are always two or three bananas that just can't manage to get themselves eaten before they look like this:


and when these beauties appear in our kitchen, Mr. DoM's first instinct is to chuck 'em. My first instinct is to make Banana Bread. I was actually waiting for this last batch of bananas to go "bad" because I had a Peanut Butter Banana Bread recipe to test.



One of my son's friends insists that she does not like peanut butter. I just don't understand that. I think everybody needs a little peanut butter in their life, and this Banana Bread recipe has just enough. (Although, I bet if you want it even more peanut-buttery you could up the dose to 5 Tablespoons.)














Peanut Butter Banana Bread


1/3 cup butter
4 Tablespoons smooth peanut butter
3 large or 4 small ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare one loaf pan by buttering or use cooking spray.

Place butter and peanut butter into one bowl and use microwave to melt. Using a large mixing bowl and spoon, combine peanut butter mixture and mashed bananas. Add both sugars, beaten egg and vanilla, stir to incorporate all ingredients. Then add flour, baking soda and salt. Stir just enough to combine, but do not over mix the batter.

Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour then test with toothpick. Loaf is done with toothpick comes out clean. (My loaf took 1 hour, 5 min). Cool, remove from pan, slice and enjoy!

6 comments:

Robyn said...

Looks SO good!

Exposing Grief said...

Love the printable link option you have on here. My bananas aren't quite as black as yours but I'm going to give this recipe a whirl today.

Exposing Grief said...

I was getting ready to start the recipe and noticed that there's no baking powder - is that correct?

Stacy said...

This is fabulous!I already had some bananas fermenting on the counter when I came across this recipe! Impecable timing Andy! Anyway, I gave it a whirl and let me just say that the whole fam loved it. I went to the store just to buy bananas in hopes that in another week they would be rotted. LOl! My hubs and toddler daugher cannot get enought of this in the mornings for breakfast! My daughter eats almost 2 whole slices by herself! Anyway, thanks so much for sharing. Also, I did end up making mini loaves and half an hour is the perfect baking time. I also threw in a handful of mini chocolate chips, cause peanut butter is a fav in our house, but PB AND chocolate.....perfection!

Josee said...

So I decided last minute that I wanted to make something really good, but being the college student I am I don't have many ingredients.I stumbled upon this recipe and decided to give it a shot.and OMG its soooo good!!!I had all these bananas just chillin' (all pun intended) in my freezer and was like I guess I can use them at some point.I can't even handle how good this is.Yummmm.

sam said...

Your recipe was wonderful my friends enjoyed too