Friday, December 7, 2007

The Best Tasting Ugly Soup

I have a soup recipe that I make about once a year, maybe twice. It is uuuuuugly, but it is so delicious. Every time I make it, my husband comes home, looks in the pot, wrinkles his nose and says, "what IS that?" Then he tastes it and says, "wow this is great! Why don't you make it more often?"

It's really unlike anything I've tasted before, soup-wise. It's called "Sweet & Sour Cabbage Soup" and it's fairly simple. If you're brave enough to try making it, I recommend you serve it with a loaf of warm crusty bread.


Sweet & Sour Cabbage Soup

1 Qt chicken broth (or 2 cans)
1 can chicken breast chunks
1/2 head of green cabbage, chopped
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1-2 carrots, diced
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup ketchup
1/8 cup brown sugar, packed
a little less than 1/4 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed is preferable)
salt and pepper to taste

Heat chicken broth in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add tomato paste, ketchup, brown sugar and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Add all remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer gently for 1 hour. Taste and add salt and pepper. (makes 4-5 servings)

2 comments:

Lee and Sharon said...

Glad to see you are back.
Missed you.

Leah said...

I'm salivating. Reading your blog makes me so hungry. I can't wait to try this recipe. With all the snow we've been getting it'll be nice make a big pot of soup and eat it all day. Thanks for posting!

Kristy's friend Leah