Sunday, February 10, 2008

Baked French Toast


Note about recipe: I have two recipe "sizes" for this dish. The first time I made it was just for our little family. I used a small cookie sheet and 6 slices of texas toast type bread. I will list that recipe below as a "single" recipe. The second time I made the recipe was using 2 pans (1 large cookie sheet and a 9x13 pan) and the entire loaf of texas toast bread. I'll type that up below as well and label it the "family size" recipe.

Becuase of it's richness, I like to serve this with fresh fruit, bananas being my favorite, and then drizzle some of the brown sugary sauce on top.



Baked French Toast
**single recipe**


1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine
2 Tablespoons corn syrup
1/2 cup to 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans are good)
zest from one orange (about 2 tsp)
2/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup milk
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
4 large eggs, or 5 medium eggs

In a small saucepan (or use microwave) melt butter. Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar and corn syrup. Spread sauce in bottom of a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with nuts, if desired. Lay 6 to 8 slices of bread on top of sugar sauce & nuts.

In a large bowl, wisk eggs. Add orange zest, orange juice, milk, granulated sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Wisk to combine.

Using a small measuring cup or ladle, scoop the egg mixture over each slice of bread making sure to coat each evenly. Cover and refrigerate for an hour. Bake 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, checking bread for doneness.





Baked French Toast **family size**
(FULL batch – uses full loaf of texas toast bread)

1 ½ cups brown sugar
1 cup butter
6 Tablespoons corn syrup
Chopped walnuts (about 1 cup or more)
Zest from 2 oranges (3-4 teaspoons)
1 ¼ cups orange juice
1 cup milk
5 Tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
10 eggs, beaten
1 Loaf of Wonder Texas Toast bread


In a small saucepan (or use microwave) melt butter. Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar and corn syrup. Spread sauce in the bottom of 2 pans (I use one large cookie sheet, and a 9x13 casserole). Sprinkle with nuts if desired (I make one pan with nuts and one without.) Lay slices of bread on top of sugar sauce & nuts.

In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Add orange zest, orange juice, milk, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Wisk to combine.

Using a small measuring cup or ladle, scoop egg mixture over each slice of bread making sure to coat each evenly, and dividing egg mixture evenly between the two pans.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, checking bread for doneness.

6 comments:

Robyn said...

Um, um good!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So the Baked french toast was a big hit. Everyone wanted the recipe. As I was making it I got all excited about the carmel bottom and so I poured the whole amount on the pan. Then I made another batch to use as the syrup on the top. By the time I was eating the second slice of french toast I was having a sugar over load. Next time I'll drizzle about 2/3 of it on the bottom and save the rest to drizzle on top. I also couldn't find Texas Toast at the store (I guess I'm too Far from Texas) so I'm excited to try it again with the right bread. Where did you get this recipe?

Andy said...

Mandy
I'm so glad you liked it. I got this recipe from reading through several similar recipes and morphing them together to get this one.

It is quite easy to get sugar over load from this, which is why it's always a big hit with kids! As much as we love it here, I try not to make it too often becuase it really is more of a dessert than a main dish.

Mandy Wollenzien said...

I made this for a big group on the 4th. With your large recipe I was able to get two cookie sheets full of texas toast. It was so yummy! Everyone loved it. I referred them all to your blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi - this sounds delicious and I'm wondering if I could make it the night before to just pop in the overn the next morning? Wasn't sure if it would be too long and make it too mushy

Anonymous said...

Can you prepare this recipe the night before?