Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Chicken Noodle Soup

The first time I made this soup, I followed the recipe exactly. Since then I've kind of just done my own thing and we ended up liking it more. It still is a soup that I just toss things into, but for the most part this is the "recipe" that I follow:



Chicken Noodle Soup
(makes about 4 servings)

2 cans (14.5 oz) chicken broth
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced**
2-3 carrots, diced
1/2 cup of canned green beans**
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup to 1 cup egg noodles **
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium sized pot, bring chicken broth to a simmer. Toss in chicken, carrots and egg noodles. Simmer for 10 minutes or so until chicken and noodles are cooked. Toss in green beans and green onion. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes to heat beans and then serve.

**If you have more chicken on hand or you prefer a meatier soup, then by all means use more! We have also substituted canned corn and frozen peas for the green beans. All good. The noodles I prefer to use are found in the freezer section of our grocery store. (I use a 1/2 bag for this recipe.) Thanks to Robyn for finding these! They keep for awhile in the freezer, are easy and quick to use, and taste just like homemade.


No comments: