Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Breakfast Fruit Pizza


I am an impressionable pregnant woman. I admit it. It is bad for me to watch the food network too much; I find dozens of things that look so good I MUST make them immediately. This was one of those recipes. Fortunately for my family, it's a very good recipe. As I baked/cooked, my husband was on hand to be my photographer and document my efforts.




Breakfast (Fruit) Pizza
from the show Everyday Italian
original recipe here


1 storebought pizza dough (I used Rhodes)

2 Tablespoons butter, melted
4 Tablespoons cinnamon-sugar (see recipe below)
2 cups mascarpone cheese
1 Tablespoon heavy cream (I used more like 2 Tbsp)
2 Tablespoons lemon juice (I used 4 Tbsp)
1 tsp lemon zest
2 cups mixed berries / fruit in season



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.



Using a rolling pin, roll out the pizza dough to a
thickness of about 1/4 inch. Transfer the pizza dough to the lined baking sheet and brush the dough with the melted butter. Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp cinnamon-sugar mixture and bake until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. Cool the pizza crust on a wire rack.


Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together the mascarpone cheese, cream, lemon juice and zest. (I also added 2 tsp of granulated sugar at this point to sweeten it a bit more.)


ONCE THE CRUST IS COOLED, spread the cheese mixture over the cooled crust. Top with mixed berries/fruit and sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon-sugar (I skipped this.) Slice like a pizza and serve.



Cinnamon-Sugar

1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon


Stir to combine. Set aside in a small serving bowl.















Big, beautiful strawberries in January? You bet! It was heaven...a little bit of June in the middle of winter.







The finished pizza(s). I made two small ones instead of one larger one, and oooohhh they were good!





11 comments:

Lee and Sharon said...

This is beautiful Andy. Wish I were there eating with you.

Robyn said...

I LOVE your pictures! Yummy, yummy

Megan said...

I just happened upon you blog, and I love it! Did you just use a loaf of white bread dough for this recipe? I can't wait to try this. YUM!

Andy said...

welcome, andrew's mom! The dough I used is a pizza crust dough, but I bet a white bread dough would work as well.

Anonymous said...

hey can this also be a main course?

Andy said...

hi anonymous - sure can!

Anonymous said...

hi
am a teenager who is 13 and i am entering a competition in which you have to cook a main course and pudding! i have found the perfect main course (your fruity pizza)! but i am having troubles finding a pudding! the theme is fruit and veg, and as you know i have found my main course but cant find a pudding which is healthy, which contains fruit and a little bit of veg, and it has to be cooked in 30 minutes...i need help!....i wondered if you could help me! please!!

Anonymous said...

please you reply i need you advice ASAP!
thanks

Andy said...

sorry anon - I don't really have any pudding recipes. My suggestion is to try looking on allrecipes.com. You can do a search for puddings there. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

thankyou...but i cant seem to find anything! i need something that i can cook in 30 mins and contains 5 or more fruit and veg!

Andy said...

anon: email me (dinnersonme@gmail.com) and I will send you a recipe I thought of.