Monday, January 14, 2008

Creamy Vegetable Soup


Tonight's recipe was supposed to be Edamame Corn Chowder. In the end, I didn't have edamame to put in, and it wasn't much like a "chowder." I added a few more veggies to make it a more substantial meal, so I've re-named it and here's the very delicious, finished recipe.

Creamy Vegetable Soup

3 slices bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, diced
2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth
2-3 red potatoes, chopped
1 carrot, peeled & chopped
1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1 can (15 oz) creamed corn
1 cup frozen baby Lima beans
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped bacon pieces and cook until bacon is crisp to your liking, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon (let it drain on paper towels) and pour off most of the fat from the pan (leave about 1 Tablespoon).

Add onion and cook until soft (4-5 minutes). Add chicken broth, chopped potatoes, chopped carrot, and Italian seasoning. Cover and simmer only 4 or 5 additional minutes - don't let the potatoes get too soft yet.

Add frozen baby Lima beans, creamed corn and heavy cream. Cover and simmer an additional 4-5 minutes until heated through. Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking.

To serve, scoop into bowls and top with bacon pieces. I also thought some grated Parmesan cheese would be good, but I ate my soup too quickly before I remembered to put some on.



1 comment:

Mandy Wollenzien said...

mmmm! I just finished eating a large bowl of the soup and it was really good. I was nervous about the creamed corn but Wow I liked it. The only thing I would change is I would add less lima beans and more carrots.
I'm now seperating the soup into individual containers and moving it to the freezer for my lunches. I'll let you know how it tastes reheated.