Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I'm A Bad Mom

Alright. This is food related, I promise. I've been seeing a commercial on television for a couple of months now and it really bothers me every time I see it. According to the Dixie paper plate people, I'm a bad mom.





My favorite lines:

"My children come first. It's as simple as that."

"I'm proud to use Dixie Ultra paper plates. If it means fewer dishes and spending more time with my family."

What? I'm sorry, but if your children truly come first, then you shouldn't be filling up the landfills with paper-plate-garbage for your children to clean up when they're adults. Bring your children into the kitchen with you and spend time with them there. Little hands are willing to help, and are quite capable of scooping, measuring, spreading and stirring. Teach them to cook. (Thanks mom)




Let them help dirty the dishes and then teach them how to clean them. Do the dishes together and spend more time with them shoulder to shoulder at the sink. I believe that one of the best things a parent can do is to teach their children to work. (Thanks dad)

Show your children how much you respect them and value family dinner time by using real plates, forks, spoons, knives and glasses. My goodness, you could even throw on a few placemats and light a candle or two every once in awhile. Paper plates are for picnics. Repeat after me: Paper plates are for picnics. Again: Paper plates are for picnics.....

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Never a bad mom.

I agree--except maybe while I'm in law school :-) Not really--I can't bring myself to fill the landfill as you say. The diapers from the five kids have probably created a landfill all their own.

I have had friends however who have used paper plates regularly--especially at times when their spouses have been very sick or when life just turns upside down. My theory then is, "We're having an INSIDE picnic!"

I need more time with the ten little hands in the kitchen...sigh...

Exposing Grief said...

We don't use paper plates very often, but I don't believe using them or not defines us as mothers. And I totally agree with getting your kids involved. I heard somewhere once that you should "make salad" with your kids - "let us" do the dishes, "let us" make dinner, "let us" clean up.

Just my 2¢.

Tara said...

I totally agree! That commercial has always bothered me, for the same reasons!

My six year helps stir and mix, sets the dinner table, helps with the smaller tasks. Great way to spend time together and a great way to prepare her for when she is older and living on her own. I had a college roomie that didn't even know how to turn on the dishwasher, let alone use anything else in the kitchen. Oye!

Lee and Sharon said...

That's my girl with the curly hair. So glad to read your motherly comments. Truly my sentiment = = except when all of my kids and grandkids are here then I pull out the paper and plastic and I feel it's a good thing for my sanity.

christy said...

i am a "bad" mom too, except my son loves to sit on the counter and "help" with the cooking, dishes and anything that i will let him touch. i love it much more than i would knowing that i am producing more trash than i need too.

Unknown said...

I hate that commercial too...how dare they insult our intelligence and our frugleness (is that the right work??). What's wrong with filling up the sink with hot water, or putting the dishes in the dishwasher...geez...paper = less trees...what does that say...

Ok...off my box now...glad I'm not the only one!!

Anonymous said...

Bravo! I couldn't agree more. I don't think they should be banned but should be used in moderation and with awareness. My mom uses them all the time along with plastic disposable cups & it bugs me sooooo bad. She is 73 and a widow, but still...I don't see the need. My mom makes me remember that most people in this country aren't very "green" and do not understand the true cost of those disposable things our society & advertising say are ok to use. The family on John & Kate plus eight use them for every meal. I understand why she uses them, but maybe as the kids get older she'll take your advice and let the kids help do the dishes.

Kris said...

amen sister! Cute pic by the way. I think Mom was tired of little hands helping by the time I rolled around, though. I don't ever recall having a picture of myself on the kitchen table helping. :-)