Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Pizza Cake

Ha ha! More cake! I told you I was a big fan of cake mixes. This one was for my nephew's birthday and I have to admit that this is not my original idea. I saw it in a magazine and thought it would be a cute and easy birthday cake. It sure was!




Here is the link to the original. I have a few tips for you though, if you're going to try this one out. First of all, use gel icing color and not the liquid drops you find in most grocery stores. The gel will help get a deeper color, more like a pizza sauce and won't change the consistency of your frosting. I used this size of jar of the regular red color (see image below) and I ended up using the entire little container, and still was not quite happy with the color. Next time I might get a regular red gel and a darker red gel and combine them to get better results.



Also, I wasn't able to find fruit roll ups (for the pepperoni) that didn't have tattoos on them. Finally for serving, I just bought some foil pizza trays and they worked fine. Although if I do this again, I might go to a pizza shop and buy two medium sized boxes from them. It would help protect the pizzas and help with presentation.

If anyone tries out these cute little cakes, email me a photo of it. I'd like to see!

2 comments:

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Hi Andy! This is a wonderful recipe blog! What I'm doing is looking for fantastic homemaking blogs like yours with which to do a link exchange. If you'd like to be on my blog roll in exchange for putting my button on your side bar or adding me to YOUR blog roll, please visit the yellow print on my right sidebar at http://rtheyallyours.blogspot.com . Thank you and regardless, I'll be back here!

Robyn said...

We LOVED the cakes! They polished the last of it off after school the next day. Thanks for making such a fun cake!!!!!