Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Apple & Mustard Pork Skewers

Anyone else tired of the same ol' Summer fare? I found that we were grilling the same things over and over this Summer. By now I'm pretty much done with my usual burgers and grilled chicken, but I'm NOT done with my grill. This recipe caught my eye, mostly because I had a few pork tenderloins in the freezer.



I was worried about all of the Dijon mustard though - I'm not a fan. I had also never tasted whole grain mustard and was concerned that if I didn't like Dijon, then I really wouldn't like the whole grain stuff. The verdict? I LOVE whole grain mustard! In fact, now that I have a jar of it in my fridge, I'm looking for more recipes that include it. (Do you know of a good one? Send me a link!)

Here's what I love about this recipe: It's quick! The marinade is simple to mix up. Throw everything in a bag and let the pork marinate for a bit.




I also love that the mustard lets the pork shine, instead of overpowering it. The apples are soft and delicious after being grilled, and the bite-sized pieces of pork are tender (hence the name of the cut: "pork TENDERloin".)


















Apple & Mustard Pork Skewers


1 to 2 pounds pork tenderloin (or however much your family can eat)
2 large apples
skewers

Marinade:
2 tsp wholegrain mustard
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp apple juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt & pepper

Creamy Mustard Sauce:
1 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 tsp Dijon mustard
6 Tbsp heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

Slice pork tenderloin into 1 1/2 inch slices. Place in ziplock bag and add marinade ingredients. Marinate for 1-3 hours in the refrigerator.

If you are using wood skewers, be sure to soak these in water for a bit to keep them from burning.

Heat grill to medium-high. Core and slice two apples. Thread pork chunks and apple slices onto skewers, alternating between the two. (The amount of skewers you end up with depends on the length of your skewers, so I can't really give you that information.)

Brush lightly with oil and place on grill. Grill for 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer skewers to a serving dish. I served these with the Creamy Mustard Sauce on the side, but you could also drizzle it over the skewers once they're on the serving plate. (note: I've made this recipe twice now. The first time I made the Creamy Mustard Sauce but only Mr. Dinner's on Me ate it, so the second time I didn't bother.)

No comments: