Sunday, March 18, 2007

Shared Main Dishes


Robyn’s Roast
This pot-roast makes its own gravy!

2 cans Cream of Mushroom soup
1 (1oz.) package dry onion soup mix
1 ¼ cups water
3-5 pound roast

In the crock-pot, mix cream of mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix and water. Place pot roast in crock-pot and coat with soup mixture. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 8-9 hours.

When done I like to take the roast out and shred it up and add it back to the gravy so that I’m not spending my whole meal cutting up meat for the kids. We serve this over rice or baked potatoes. The kids even love it!


Quick and Easy Alfredo Sauce
(submitted by Robyn)

½ cup butter
1 8oz. package cream cheese
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 cups milk
6 oz. grated parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add cream cheese and garlic powder, stirring with wire whisk until smooth. Add milk, a little at a time, whisking to smooth out lumps. Stir in Parmesan and pepper. Remove from heat when sauce reaches desired consistency. Sauce will thicken rapidly, thin with milk if cooked to long. Toss with hot pasta and serve.


**Robyn's note**
I made this tonight and found that it makes enough for 2 dinners for our size of family. I cooked 16 oz. of bowtie pasta with this and have another whole dinners worth of alfredo sauce left. I’m freezing it and will use the other half for a dinner one night next week. So you could easily cut everything in half and have plenty for one dinner. For the parmesan, I just used Kraft parmesan in the green can, like you would put on the top of spaghetti sauce, not a brick of cheese that I grated and it turned out really good.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I make a pot roast a lot like this, but using less water. If I think ahead and the roast is *actually* thawed, I'll sear it in grill seasoning before letting it spend some time alone in the crock pot--maybe overnight on low or 3-4 hours on high. Then I take off the most obscene amount of fat, leaving a bit for flavor.
Frozen roast can start in the crock pot at this phase. I use the mushroom and onion soups and only 1/2 cup of water to cook the roast the rest of the way and add 1/2-1 cup of milk for the last 30 minutes. That's usually while I mash potatoes to serve with the roast.
Also, a few tablespoons of sour cream in the leftover roast over egg noodles makes an instant pseudo-stroganoff!

Cynthia said...

i've been making robyn's pot roast for years and didn't even know it! :) i call it the sunday pot roast best for when you have late church.