Saturday, July 24, 2010

Strawberry-Spinach Couscous Salad

I really enjoy my daily newspaper reading.

Growing up we always subscribed to the daily paper and I enjoyed flipping through it as I ate breakfast. Ok let’s be honest – I only looked at the ads and comics. When I went to college a daily paper subscription was a splurge so it didn’t happen. Later, when I could afford the splurge I realized that everything was online anyway and it was easier to just read it there so again – no newspaper subscription. Recently however I noted that I was spending less and less time online and even less time watching tv so I was WAY out of touch with what was going on in the world. A few months ago I decided to try getting the daily paper and now I’m really enjoying it. It usually takes me all day to read it through, but I feel like I’m more aware of events in my community, state and nation. Oh, and of course the ads and comics.

I don’t normally look to the paper as a source for recipes and cooking ideas. In fact, I admit I’m a bit skeptical of newspaper recipes (why is that I wonder?) But back in June I spotted this recipe in the newspaper and realized that #1: it sounded deliciously refreshing and #2: I had all of the necessary ingredients. We ate it for dinner that night, as a side to our grilled chicken.

Here’s what I liked about it: I love that it has spinach in it. I’m always looking for ways to incorporate some of the spinach from my garden into our meals. The inclusion of almonds was fantastic. I love the crunchy almonds with the soft sweet strawberries. The orange vinaigrette was a citrusy delight. Over all this salad is great, however I felt there was something wrong with the ratio of couscous to spinach. I think I was expecting more spinach and less couscous, so the end result of this salad kind of threw me off. Next time I think I’ll cut the amount of couscous in half and double the spinach. Some fresh squeezed lemon juice added to the couscous while it cooks might be nice as well.

I found the recipe online for you and it even has a print-page option. (It’s on the Denver Post site but don’t worry, it’s the same exact recipe.) Enjoy!

Strawberry-Spinach Couscous Salad with Orange Vinaigrette

1 comment:

Josh said...

http://sunshinemeg.blogspot.com/2010/08/land.html