Thursday, September 13, 2007

Slow Cooker Orange Chicken - Recipe Review

Tonight's dinner was Slow Cooker Orange Chicken. It was simple to make, and it didn't take long to cook (3 hours on high). It shouldn't be called Orange Chicken though, because the barbecue sauce in the recipe cancelled out the orange flavor. I even added only half of the bbq sauce I was supposed to! I was pleased with the sticky-ness of the sauce however.

Next time I make this recipe (and there will be a next time) I will use hoisin sauce in place of the barbecue sauce. If anyone tries this out before I do, send me an email or post a comment and let us all know what you thought! Feeling brave, Christa? Maybe you can be our tester-chef on this one.

3 comments:

Christa said...

So I took Andy's challenge and made orange chicken last night for dinner. I did substitute Hoisin sauce for the BBQ sauce. Since I have not made the original recipe, I have no comparison but I liked the flavor the hoisin added. Although I have to agree with Andy that this recipe doesn't have an orange flavor. My only complaint is that after about 3 hours on high I pulled a piece of chicken out to see if it was done and the piece was quite coated in flour. I could taste flour. I had about 20 minutes until my parents were coming over so I decided to transfer it from my crockpot to my stove top. This helped with the flour taste but the sauce seemed to be too thick. It looked like gravy. I did add about 2 cups of water but it didn't seem to thin the sauce too much. I certainly didn't get the same color or texture that Andy did. For next time I may coat my chicken in flour and brown it before I put it into my crockpot.

Andy said...

Christa -
Thanks for trying it out. Sorry you had the issue with the flour. I like your idea about pre-browning the chicken though.

I did try this recipe again using hoisin sauce and adding orange zest and the juice of 1/2 of an orange and it was terrible. My recommendation for others is to just make the recipe as originally given, (plus Christa's idea of browning the chicken first) - just don't expect a very orangey flavor. It's not a bad recipe, but I wouldn't call it "orange chicken."

Anonymous said...

quite interesting post. I would love to follow you on twitter.