Monday, July 7, 2008

Fresh Pasta with Lemon Cream

I am constantly on the hunt for new recipes. I love to find recipes that use familiar ingredients in different ways. I have a friend who is doing Weight Watchers and after talking to her about their points system, I became curious about what recipe collections are out there that give the "points per serving" information. I found a pretty good site that lists many recipes (with points) and several caught my eye.

This recipe for Fresh Pasta with Lemon Cream was one that appealed to me because it combines Ricotta cheese and lemons; both of which I love. It's a perfect summer recipe because of the quick and simple preparation, clean flavors, and it won't heat up your kitchen! How can you beat that?

When I prepared this, I added some black pepper and another teaspoon of lemon zest. Can anyone tell me if that changes the points per serving?

Oh, and by the way - we LOVED this pasta. The sauce is creamy and light and pairs well with spaghetti noodles, although I think an angel hair pasta would be even better.

** note: I wouldn't use this as a main dish - it's more of a side dish recipe. It would be great with some salmon, or grilled chicken.





Fresh Pasta with Lemon Cream
(source: http://www.angelfire.com/journal/wwrecipes/448.htm)

15 oz low fat ricotta cheese
dash salt
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 tsp nutmeg (I used only 1/2 tsp)
4 cups cooked pasta

Empty ricotta into blender or food processor, using the steel blade. Add salt. Process until all graininess disappears and ricotta has the texture of thick whipped cream. Flavor the mixture with lemon peel and nutmeg. Store in refrigerator. Drain the hot cooked pasta, then immediately return it to the saucepan it was cooked in.

Add the whipped ricotta. Toss until pasta is well coated with sauce. Can garnish with parmesan, fresh parsley or a few thin slices of pitted black olives.

Makes 8 servings, 3 points per serving
(note: garnishes not included in points per serving)





No comments: